Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Silicone Breast Implants & MRI

Dr. Robert Brueck MD, Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon, keeps abreast of developments and questions in Cosmetic Surgery. He periodically blogs here about items in the news.

Many of my patients who have had silicone implants will often inquire about weather or not they need MRI.

The FDA made it one of their recommendations several years ago when they allowed silicone implants back on the market. I personally have not been overly impressed with the accuracy of MRI in detecting implant rupture.

I have gone to the OR with patients who had an MRI saying they were ruptured only to find the implant intact. Conversely I have had patients with normal mammograms and/or MRI who came in for implant exchange and when we go to the OR, I find both implants are ruptured.

It was found that women who were symptomatic, i.e. maLinkybe in discomfort, that MRI was more accurate in detecting problems with the implant verses women with NO symptoms.

Another very important point: most of the ruptures were found in women with implants that were greater than 10 years old. This has been my experience when a patient comes in to see me who’s implants are 15, 20 or even 30 years of old I almost know with near 100% accuracy that one or both maybe leaking or completely ruptured.

So the benefit of MRI screening is questionable.

Follow me on Facebook

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home